Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Kiawah Island, The Ocean Course

I have been looking forward to this PGA Championship for three years. The reason for that is I played this course three years back. It will be thrilling for me to watch pros play the same course I did. I just hope the weather is nasty this week like when I played (50 degrees, light rain, 20-30+ winds).

I've heard it said that outside of courses in Ireland, this course is more affected by the wind than any course in the world. There are few trees to block the wind so that makes sense. The course is right on the ocean, although it never comes into play on any holes. It can play up to 7873, although they are listing it this week at just under 7700. It's a lot of course but there are four par 5's!

Today, I'll walk you through the entire course, hole by hole, breaking it down for all of you. You will notice, there are many similarities in the layout from front to back, but in reverse. Water, marsh, and waste vary though. I'll also share my round with you as I go. For those who don't know, I normally shoot high 70's or low 80's. Not this round in this wind though!

1st Hole - Par 4 - 396

Breakdown: This may be the easiest hole on the course. It's fairly short and there isn't much trouble. It's also the farthest away from the ocean so there will be minimal wind. Expect to see the pros get off to a good start with an easy par, and a lot of birdies.

My Round: I popped up my driver, but due to the wind at my back, I only had a wedge left. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the ball to stop on the green on my approach (wind again). I chipped on, narrowly missed my par, and started the day with a bogey 5.

2nd Hole - Par 5 - 557

Breakdown: A reachable and doable par 5 for the pros, but it does present some trouble. Players must carry a marshland on their drive, biting off as much as they think they can. Like most holes on the course, the fairways are lined by wasteland also. After the tee shot, there is another marsh they must cross, or lay up to depending on their drive. The alternative is to take it over all the trouble to the green in two. As long as players put their drive in the fairway, expect them to attack this hole. The front is easier and they need to go get it.

My Round: I bit off more than I could chew on my drive and ended up in the waste. My second shot hit an overhanging tree on the left that slowed it down. My third was safely up the fairway near the green. Again, I couldn't stop the ball with the wind behind me and chipped it over the green into some marsh. By the time the hole ended, I turned a birdie hole into a double bogey 7.

3rd Hole - Par 4 - 390

Breakdown: This is a very short par 4 that is much easier for pros than for amateurs. They will most likely hit an iron to the fairway, trying to position themselves for the best look at the green. The approach will be to a raised green, with a tree right in front guarding against low shots. Players should be close enough though to be bringing it in high. Players have another opportunity for birdie.

My Round: I hit a great drive to the fairway and a nice approach safely on the green. I was putting downwind and like my chips, I couldn't stop it. I putted it off the green completely! Thankfully I got up and down though for a bogey 5!

4th Hole - Par 4 - 458

Breakdown: After a generous start, the course begins to stiffen. The drive is to a fairly wide landing area, although the wind could affect that. The second shot will vary greatly depending on where drives are hit. There is a safe zone to the left of the green to bail out to. The green is protected but bunkers and has some ups and downs on it too. Pros will be happy with par.

My Round: I smashed my drive but the wind behind me caused it to roll through the fairway into the beginning of the crossing marsh. I played it from the marsh but pulled it left into more marsh. I somehow managed to hack it out onto the green. Then I two-putted for a bogey 5 again.

5th Hole - Par 3 - 188

Breakdown: The course turns back towards the clubhouse at the first par 3. That means the wind will be different from what it was the whole round. Pros will likely struggle with club selection. The hole can play fairly long into the wind, and the big waste area to the left may come into play. Depending on the wind, par will be a good score.

My Round: Into the wind, I played a 5 wood to a back pin location. I couldn't get it all the way back there though and it caught the waste bunker short and left. I hacked it out and took another bogey (4).

6th Hole - Par 4 - 480

Breakdown: Another brutal par 4 which will be largely affected by the wind. This is very near the ocean so knowing the wind is key. There is trouble left and right in the form of waste, water, and a few trees. The drive is the key shot on this hole as the approach is easier. There is a costly bunker on the left side however. Again, players will be happy with a 4.

My Round: My got hung in the wind and found the water left. After a penalty, I missed the green short. I finally made it on in four and sadly took another double bogey 6.

7th Hole - Par 5 - 579

Breakdown: After a series of tough holes, this is another scoring opportunity for pros. There is a dune on the right side that players may hit over or hit safely to the left of. If they clear it, they will have a decent look to attack the green in two. Waste guards the left of the green, some overhanging trees guard the right. The fairway sort of makes a nice runway though. Depending on the wind, most can be aggressive and take advantage of another par 5 here.

My Round: I played it aggressively and my drive turned out great. I went for it in two and hit what I thought was a great shot. It ended up too far right in those overhanging trees I mentioned. After avoiding the tree on my third, I finally put it on the green in 4 and made a frustrating bogey 6.

8th Hole - Par 3 - 198

Breakdown: This hole may have length but it doesn't have any element of protection outside of wind. Of course there is some waste that comes into play, but what hole out here doesn't. The green has more slope than some realize so reading the green here is important. Overall, par will likely be an okay score.

My Round: This was the best hole I played all day. I hit the center of the green on my tee shot. I then hit a beautiful putt for bir... wait, it did a 360 on the edge and stayed out. I had to settle for par... which was my first of the day actually.

9th Hole - Par 4 - 494

Breakdown: This is a typical Pete Dye hole. It is intimidating from the tee box, although the tee shot will be more generous than it looks. Hitting it with some length is important in my opinion though on this beast. The green has a lot of runoffs which will lead to some tricky little pitch shots. It is a very challenging finishing hole on the front side.

My Round: At this point I was looking forward to regrouping in the clubhouse. I was again hitting dead into the wind and despite two good shots couldn't get it to the green. As was the norm most of the day, I hit it on with my third and took a bogey 5. That gave me a 46 on the front.

10th Hole - Par 4 - 447

Breakdown: The back nine gets even tougher for players than the front. It starts out heading west, just like they finished on the front. A drive to the left side is key to avoid some waste trouble on the right. The second shot has sandy waste on all sides (but the front) so if players miss they better do it short. They can avoid the wind slightly around the green as dunes surround it. Par is still a good score.

My Round: I remember playing through a group in front of me and hit a mammoth drive. I then remember being dead into the wind and hit a 5 wood that still ballooned into the air and was short of the green. A pitch and two putts later I had made another bogey 5.

11th Hole - Par 5 - 593

Breakdown: Another classic Pete Dye hole provides a risk/reward opportunity. There is trouble with dunes to the right off the tee, water to the right then entire way, and waste that comes into play throughout the S shaped fairway. If players lay up their second shot, it will be to a narrow area. If it plays downwind, birdies and eagles can be made. If against, par will likely be common.

My Round: Still into the wind, I couldn't get back to the green in two, or even three. I went right, left, left, then on. I ended up with another two-putt bogey 6.

12th Hole - Par 4 - 412

Breakdown: An intimidating hole for sure, but one that players see a lot. A wide landing area makes this drive the easier shot. The approach is tough due to the green-side canal leading up to and surrounding the green. If players miss, they better miss short or a little left to avoid that hazard. Like most greens, it is fairly benign of slope. Due to the precise nature of the approach, scores may vary from birdie to some "others."

My Round: Just like in the breakdown, I found the fairway on the drive. That narrow second shot bit me in the butt though. The canal gobbled up my shot. That led to a double bogey 6.

13th Hole - Par 4 - 497

Breakdown: This hole may be the most intimidating hole if it plays to full length and into the wind. The canal is in play on both the drive and the approach on the right. There is some slope that causes balls to roll that way also. It can be very narrow on the approach with waste on the opposite side. There are other tees though that make this hole play shorter. It would be like watching a completely different hole! Par is a great score on most days.

My Round: After hitting a number of good drives in a row, I lost this one right and into the water. I made par on my second try though. With the shot and penalty, it ended up another double bogey 6.

14th Hole - Par 3 - 238

Breakdown: This brutally long par 3 changes directions once again and heads right out towards the ocean. Thankfully, length is the only real defense here. There isn't as much trouble in terms of waste and water. There is a slope that divides the green front and back. Par will be nice for players.

My Round: I hit a decent shot pin high but off the right side. I couldn't get up and down however, and took another bogey 4. At this point I hope you see that despite the relatively flat greens, they still aren't easy to putt on. I never, or rarely, made my first putt on a hole.

15th Hole - Par 4 - 444

Breakdown: A beautiful hole again right on the ocean. It is fairly benign compared to most of the other holes on the back nine. It may be the last on of the last reprieves on the course. After a relatively easy drive, players will have a mid to short iron to the green. It is slightly above the players and guarded by waste on a couple sides. You can see some birdies here.

My Round: I hit a good drive down the left side which set me up nicely. I put too much stock in the wind though and came up short on the left side. I managed to get it out of the waste and get up and down for a bogey 5.

16th Hole - Par 5 - 581

Breakdown: The last breath of air for players that will be their last chance to score. Players will feel as though they need this hole before the brutal stretch. There is a small carry on the drive and waste bunkers to avoid off the fairways. The green is raised slightly with a big bunker protecting it on the left side. Again, the ocean is in full force as will be the wind. Birdies will be made if the wind doesn't change that.

My Round: I actually played a decent hole here just like I'm supposed to. A good drive, second, approach, and a two putt left me with a par. Normally pars are common, today it felt like a birdie.

17th Hole - Par 3 - 223

Breakdown: Players will lose sleep over this hole. It may be the toughest par 3 in the US, or the world. It is long, massively affected by the ocean wind, and it contains a narrow green surrounded by deep bunkers. Depending on the pin position, birdies will be miracles. There isn't an area to bail out to and good shots can still end up in bad places. Pars will be gaining shots on the field.

My Round: I didn't go in the water! I did go into the deadly bunkers to the left. I played out sideways to the back of the green from there. I then nearly putted off the green and ended up 3 putting. A double bogey 5 was the final damage. That was intimidating!

18th Hole - Par 4 - 501

Breakdown: The other half of this ridiculous closing due is another beast. The drive must stay out of the waste and pot bunkers up the right side, but too far left will make the approach nearly impossible. Depending on the wind, long hitters can clear trouble, but it only gets more narrow the farther up you go. It is a long hole, so expect a long iron approach shot. It will be narrow coming in and the green is protected on the left by some dangerous sand. Just like 17, a par is basically stealing.

My Round: I drove it okay but that second shot is so long. I bailed out short and to the right. A bogey is all I could manage. The back nine was a messy 47 which made it a 93 overall.

So there you have it. It is an exciting course with an unreal finish. If the wind blows, you will see all types of shot making. I've heard it is soft though, which will help most of the players. Enjoy watching!

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment