Friday, October 12, 2012

College Football Saturday


Last week, Andrew outshined Greg when it came to picking college football games. Can he repeat his performance?

Nationally, the focus this week will be on Notre Dame. Are they back? Are they BCS contenders? This week will tell a lot. Also, will LSU lose back-to-back games? And lower down in the national spotlight, is Louisiana Tech good or what? Here’s our take:

3 South Carolina at 9 LSU

The Gamecocks are coming off a big win while LSU is coming off an equally big loss. That makes this very interesting. Do I think South Carolina is a better team right now: Yes. But due to last week’s results and where the game is played, can I go against the Tigers: No. – Andrew

It’s hard to pick against South Carolina after what they did to Georgia last week, but I'm going to do it.  I think LSU's defense will do enough to slow down South Carolina's offense, and as long as Mettenberger is a little smarter with the football (which he should be able to be at home), the Tigers pull this one out in a real offensively minded game (kidding). – Greg

Andrew:         LSU 27, South Carolina 24
Greg:               LSU 12, South Carolina 10

17 Stanford at 7 Notre Dame

Notre Dame has passed every test so far, but some of the their largest tests remain. Stanford is a team very capable of pulling off a win Saturday, and in recent years Notre Dame is a team very capable of blowing it. But as Greg said a few weeks back, there is something different about them this year. – Andrew

As an Irish fan, this game worries me, but so did Miami, Michigan, and Michigan State.  Brian Kelly has earned my trust and so has Everett Golson. This game will come down to a couple things. First, the Irish front 7 vs. the Stanford run game. This is the strength of both teams, and ND's ability to stop the run and prevent the play action pass will help their young secondary diagnose plays much quicker. Second, ND's rushing game against Stanford's defense. Notre Dame threw the ball 1 time in the second half last week against Miami. ONE TIME (and no I'm not mocking Phil from IWU). Everett Golson has gotten better, but his success will depend on ND's ability to run. I think ND shuts them down and wins a throwback game. – Greg

Andrew:         Notre Dame 30, Stanford 20
Greg:               Notre Dame 24, Stanford 14

15 Texas at 13 Oklahoma

People are going to start calling me a Sooner fan. But the truth is I trust teams with good quarterbacks. And in this matchup, I trust Jones the most. Throw in the home field advantage, and I’m a Sooner fan this week. – Andrew

David Ash and the Texas offense fell just short last week against West Virginia. I don't see that happening again this week. Oklahoma is a team that is overrated, and even in Norman hasn't looked that great. This is always a good game, but I think Texas has the better team. – Greg

Andrew:         Oklahoma 35, Texas 28
Greg:               Texas 40, Oklahoma 28

22 Texas A&M at 23 Louisiana Tech

Supposed to be play on opening night, it was postponed until now. This will mark the first time they have played while both teams are ranked. The Aggies have owned this series, but La Tech is different this year, and is trying to get to 6-0 for the first time ever. And I’m a fan of the little guy, so I’ll roll with ‘em. – Andrew

Against my better judgment, I am picking Louisiana Tech in this game. Even though they are now ranked, they are still underdogs, and are at home. The raucous crown will help LA Tech get the win here.

Andrew:         Louisiana Tech 31, Texas A&M 27
Greg:               Louisiana Tech 34, Texas A&M 28

Andrew’s Wildcard Upset: BYU over 10 Oregon State

In my wildcard upset pick, I wanted to pick my Hoosiers over Ohio State. But then I laughed at myself. BYU though knows how to win football games. They have lost two close games this year already, but could easily be unbeaten. Oregon State has done the opposite, and has won many tight contests. A few plays different and they could have a losing record. BYU is a tough place to play at, and I think they will be up for this game. – Andrew

Andrew:         BYU 20, Oregon State 17

Greg’s Wildcard Upset: Tennessee over 19 Mississippi State

Though this game is at Mississippi State, Tennessee leads MSU in YPG (505.8-404.6) 3rd Down % (42.9-40.6), PPG (39.4-34.2), and YPP (8.2-7.5). Tyler Bray gets it together in this game, and the Vols win anchored by their inspired defense. – Greg

Greg:               Tennessee 27, Mississippi State 17

Enjoy the games!

By: The Sports Guys

2 comments:

  1. Andrew wins again! We both got LSU by 2 points, lost LA Tech by 2 points, missed our upset picks. The difference was I picked Oklahoma and won that while you picked Texas and lost. The streak continues...

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, funny how you didn't mention any type of streak when you were losing, and that I didn't rub it in. I guess I'll have to take that into consideration. However, my upset pick was closer than yours so technically I would win, and I had LSU by 2, you had them by 3. I also was only 5 points total off in the ND/Stanford game. SO if you really want to get technical, even though I missed two games, I was still closer on the games we both picked right.

    ReplyDelete