Friday, April 26, 2013

NFL Draft - Round 1

Today we're doing something new... Last night, the NFL conducted the first round of the 2013 draft. It was an interested and exciting night. The Sports Guys watched, but maintained a conversation throughout via texts. Below is that conversation. It includes our reactions to the picks as they transpired.

NOTE: We will be doing our official draft analysis next week after the draft concludes this weekend.

NOTE: We are both Chicago Bears fans, Colts too, and even Broncos fans due to Peyton Manning.

Andrew: As we're watching tonight, let's be sure to stay in touch so we can record our conversation tomorrow on the blog.

Greg: Sounds good. I think there will be lots of trades.

Andrew: I hope! Here we go.

Greg: I just read the guy's lips... Eric Fisher will go #1.

Andrew: The TV analysts are agreeing with you.

Greg: I think either pick (Fisher or Joeckel) is great here. But if I had the pick myself I'm probably picking Joeckel.

Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan

Andrew: I would be a little worried because he didn't play against great teams in college. But he's got the tools and upside to be great. Both will be though...

Greg: It's like Luck vs. RGIII last year. But Fisher played against enough good competition so it won't matter. / Now the fun starts. I think Jacksonville will take advantage of the situation and trade this pick. Joeckel was the more coveted tackle.

Andrew: I love the unpredictability this year vs. last year when we could call everything easily. Jacksonville needs lots of help so I'd trade it if I were them.

Greg: Same here.

Andrew: Who would trade up for it you think?

Greg: San Diego, but I doubt it actually happens. San Diego has to trade up for Lane Johnson then.

Andrew: I'm interested to see if the Jets do anything with their two nice picks... Same with the Rams although neither will jump this high. / In fact, the Jets will stay put with theirs.

Greg: Based on the stat ESPN just showed, I'll be shocked if they take Joeckel. They had the lowest sack rate in the NFL last year.

Andrew: They don't have a good QB to protect anyways.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

Greg: Maybe now they draft EJ Manuel at the beginning of the second round.

Andrew: Or Geno if he falls. / I never know what the Raiders are thinking... Who's the fastest player in the draft (haha)

Andrew: Hey, our boy Tom Crean just tweeted and it made the show!

Greg: Raiders have a new GM, they won't be stupid anymore.

Andrew: True, but still.

Greg: He was an assistant GM in Green Bay. / And Al David is dead. So he can't be stupid anymore. / EJ Manuel is better than Geno Smith in my opinion by the way. Smith will be a bust.

Andrew: We will see. I've been impressed with Smith, even his Gruden Camp. Anyways, I like Lane Johnson here if I were them.

Oakland Raiders TRADE the 3rd pick to the Miami Dolphins.

Andrew: The Dolphins, wow!

Greg: That is a shock.

Andrew: Nice move by the Raiders here though.

Greg: San Diego is pissed I bet.

Andrew: This has gotta be for Lane right?

Greg: Yes, for sure.

Andrew: Miami going all out on offense with this move, Wallace and Keller in the offseason...

Miami Dolphins: Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

Greg: That is shocking!

Andrew: What!!! Jordan?

Greg: That's not that big of a surprise at this spot.

Andrew: Maybe they thought Chip Kelly would take his own guy so they grabbed him first... It isn't all that shocking but with depth at linebacker why trade up?

Greg: I was right in my mock about Miami making the first big reach of the draft.

Andrew: Yep. I didn't see, what did they give up?

Greg: I haven't seen it yet. Miami doesn't have depth at pass rushing with their outside linebackers. / Oh, there it is. 12th and 42nd, not that much in this draft.

Andrew: No, second round is good for the Raiders. I like depth at certain spots in this draft. I like guys on the O-line, and the front seven on defense. Live in the trenches!

Philadelphia Eagles: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Greg: Lane Johnson is a great fit for the Eagles. I think, so far, this is the best fit by a team's draft pick.

Andrew: Solid pick. Great athletic lineman to go with Kelly's offense. Lane is a good story too with the way he switched positions constantly.

Greg: Fisher going first made Lane a very rich man. If Joeckel goes first I bet Johnson would have fallen out of the top ten.

Andrew: Not so sure, the top two picks could have just been flip-flopped. Plus, they are all rich men!

Greg: Yes but richer. I'm positive of it though, all the mocks before had Johnson 7 or lower. / Ziggy Ansah here for the Lions. Fluker is a darkhorse.

Andrew: It needs to be a defensive player here. There are a few guys I'm okay with.

Greg: Initial grades so far: Chiefs - A. Jags - A. Dolphins - B-. Eagles - A+.

Andrew: I might go lower on Miami with like a C-.

Greg: If they gave up more, then yes, but I don't think they gave up too much.

Detroit Lions: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU

Andrew: Solid pick with Ziggy.

Greg: Ansah too raw. Won't be a factor for two years.

Andrew: They needed a pass rusher with Avril gone.

Greg: He will own the Bears with Webb at RT again! Haha.

Andrew: I hope the Bears draft a lineman cause the O-line sucks! But that is still a ways away.

Greg: The line is better with Bushrod (Free Agency).

Andrew: Slauson too.

Greg: But they will draft someone.

Andrew: Ziggy is a great story though...

Greg: Did he just compare himself to Lebron James?

Andrew: No, Susie brought that up.

Greg: This next pick with Cleveland is the first really intriguing pick. Lots of different possibilities.

Andrew: They just submitted their pick early.

Cleveland Browns: Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU

Greg: Kruger and Mingo, what a combo.

Andrew: Could be scary in a couple years.

Greg: Could be scary now. Mingo is much better currently than either Jordan or Ansah.

Andrew: The Browns need a strong defensive line because of the other three good teams in the division.

Greg: That's a great pick.

Andrew: I like it. A for them. B for Lions by the way.

Greg: Only dumb pick so far is Dolphins. I agree on the grades. B for the Lions is right. Can't wait for the boo birds for the Jets soon. They have to go with Milliner. If he's still there, which he has to be.

Andrew: Haha. I'm ready for another trade. Arizona is intriguing here.

Greg: Eifert is my guess.

Andrew: A little too early for him.

Greg: Arians loves TE's. McShay had Eifert at 6.

Andrew: Well I like Mel more than Todd.

Greg: I like Todd more than Mel. Mel looks too much like a bird.

Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC

Andrew: Haha. Mel was right on there with Cooper though. He's a solid pick.

Buffalo Bills TRADE the 8th pick to St. Louis.

Greg: B+ for Cards. / Weird St. Louis is trading up here.

Andrew: I figured they would move with their two picks.

Greg: They are talking about Tavon Austin, but I think it's too high for him. I like the trade for Buffalo.

Andrew: I agree it might be too high, but maybe it isn't for him.

Greg: No one else it could really be for. They must have thought the Jets were going to take him.

Andrew: Maybe it is for Dee?

Greg: That would be a strange twist.

Andrew: Buffalo is trading down to take a QB without reaching as much.

Greg: Still a reach in the middle of the first round to take Nassib.

Andrew: They could always trade down again. Moves could be flowing now.

Greg: Austin has to be the pick here, and yes they could.

Andrew: It probably is. Bradford needs somebody to throw it to...

Greg: It's funny by the way that Mel/Tood are similar to you and me respectively.

Andrew: Haha. In some ways I guess.

St. Louis Rams: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia

Andrew: He will be the guy from day one, especially with Amendola in New England.

Greg: Agree. He could be a Wes Welker/Percy Harvin combo. Great fantasy upside.

Andrew: ESPN Chicago thought Austin could fall to the Bears. Too bad!

Greg: ESPN Chicago is stupid. There was 0% chance of that.

Andrew: I agree, but they were hopeful I guess.

Greg: You might have to become a Manti fan. I think that'd be a disastrous pick though, for the Bears that is.

Andrew: Can't wait! / I think the Jets take Dee here. With Revis gone it has to be the pick here.

Greg: It would be stupid not to.

Andrew: I'd go defense agains with pick 13 too.

Greg: If Geno Smith is picked, the stage might get rushed and riots will break out in the street.

Andrew: Haha. They need a QB though since Sanchez sucks and they won't let Tebow start.

Greg: Yes, that's why they can't draft Eifert. There is no one to throw him the ball.

Andrew: Yeah, Rex won with defense before. I load up again with bother of these picks used on D.

Greg: Makes sense to me.

New York Jets: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama

Andrew: Yep, it's Dee. Grade A for them there.

Greg: I'm waiting until their second pick before I grade them. / Man, Dee can't speak. And he has no teeth.

Andrew: Yes, call him "Ugly Island."

Greg: Lol, "Ugly Island", nice! / Berman is unwatchable by the way.

Andrew: They should have Michelle Beadle hosting with McShay, Kiper, and Gruden as the analysts. "Shefty" and "Mort" as the insiders. Or Mike and Mike could host and they could use "Stink."

Greg: No way Beadle... Wilbon. And I have no idea what you're talking about.

Andrew: "Stink" is Mark Schlereth's nickname.

Tennessee Titans: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama

Greg: Warmack is a wrecking ball.

Andrew: Yes, he's a hoss. Good pick though. / Here comes SD already.

San Diego Chargers: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama

Greg: Reach!

Andrew: Darn, I wanted Bears to get Fluker.

Greg: I say C, maybe C+ there.

Andrew: Maybe a slight reach, but like I said, I'm more pissed cause Bears at 20 getting him would have been perfect.

Greg: He wasn't falling that far... in your dreams. With the run of lineman, Eifert could fall to the Bears though.

Andrew: I don't want him all that bad because we signed Bennett. I want linebacker, O-line help, or WR. Although with Austin gone already, I don't want WR this early.

Greg: Gotta take the best player available, not draft by need. There are plenty of depth at those positions.

Andrew: That's why I'm good with trading down slightly.

Greg: Eifert just dominated Milliner (who's really good) and the Bears just hired an offensive minded coach. You're such a fan sometimes!

Andrew: Haha. Or I simple analyze differently than you. I doubt he's there anyways.

Oakland Raiders: D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston

Greg: I wanted that guy to fall to the Colts. He's a good player. Reminds me of Asante Samuel.

Andrew: Yeah he's solid. Does his heart injury worry you though?

Greg: A little. But I trust doctors and if he's cleared then no.

Andrew: This part of the draft gets unpredictable. They are talking about Geno here for the Jets. I don't like it for them.

Greg: Me either. I doubt any QBs go before Buffalo picks and it won't be Geno Smith.

Andrew: Jets are taking a while. I bet they are trying to trade down but can't get a buyer.

Greg: Maybe the Bears trade up for Lotulelei?

Andrew: That would be interested but I think they are more likely to move down than up, if at all.

Greg: Berman, shut up. Just get to the pick!

New York Jets: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

Andrew: They went double defense, just like we discussed earlier.

Greg: He's a small defensive tackle. I give them a B for those two picks. I'm with Gruden on Sheldon.

Andrew: Yeah, I'm not into him, but I like the defensive concept. I'm with Gruden too, should have went linebacker there because there are some good ones out there. Or Star...

Greg: How they don't take Star there I don't know. He was dominant in the Pac-12.

Andrew: Carolina pick is in already...

Carolina Panthers: Star Lotulelei, Dt, Utah

Andrew: Star it is. Last year, Carolina hit a home run with Kuechly, now Star?

Greg: Floyd could fall all the way to the Bears now. And yes, that's a heck of job two years now in the first round. That's like Haloti Ngata and Ray Lewis in back to back years.

New Orleans Saints: Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

Greg: Just saw Bills trade; they got more for #8 than Oakland did for #3.

Andrew: Yes, great trade for them. I think they are going to take a QB here. / We were silent on Saints, I don't love their pick.

Greg: Vaccaro is a great player. It's an A.

Andrew: I'm also amazed that the offensive Saints have gone defense in the first round 6 straight seasons. / He's a slight reach in my opinion.

Greg: But he will make their team better.

Andrew: Yes but I like trading down if he's gonna be available ten picks later.

Greg: He's the best safety in the draft though. Had to do it.

Buffalo Bills: E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State

Greg: Shocker.

Andrew: Um, Manual? Wow!

Greg: Nassib not getting picked there is crazy. Manuel isn't as shocking a value pick but the team that took him. / Does Pittsburgh take Lacy here? Dallas then Floyd?

Andrew: Pitt needs multiple positions actually, but I hope they go with Lacy. Floyd to Dallas then would be solid.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

Andrew: Darn, there goes Jones. That's a good pick for Pitt.

Dallas Cowboys TRADE the 18th pick to San Francisco.

Greg: Dallas has to be jumping for joy. How did they trade that, it makes no sense.

San Francisco 49ers: Eric Reed, S, LSU

Andrew: I'm stunned and confused.

Greg: Wow, especially for that pick. He was the third or fourth best safety in my opinion. I liked Cyprien and Wilcox better. Even Matt Elam. Watched a lot of tape and the Senior Bowl practices and thought they'd be good for the Bears.

Andrew: I guess in Harbaugh I trust. Plus, they made a good point about when LSU has stud corners Reed owned. Could own again with the 49er defense around him.

Greg: He's boom or bust. C- grade there, especially since they lost a pick for that.

Andrew: I concur I guess although I don't hate him, just that spot. / Lots of value out there right now.

Greg: Eifert has to be the Giants pick here. That'd be a great pick for them.

Andrew: Yes to replace Bennett. It would give them another target to pair with their wideouts.

New York Giants: Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse

Greg: I'm dazed and confused by the idiocy gone on.

Andrew: No, Pugh is a decent pick there.

Greg: I'm now worried about what the Bears will do.

Andrew: Me too, because there are so many option. They blew it last year...

Greg: I don't want Teo here.

Andrew: Why? He's solid.

Greg: I don't think he's a first rounder. There are better picks.

Andrew: Floyd still there... Lots of LB's... Eifert there... Pick is in!

Greg: Eifert makes the most sense.

Chicago Bears: Kyle Long, OG, Oregon

Greg: That's stupid. That's an infuriating pick. F!!!

Andrew: I'm actually ticked a little. Dumb, just like Shae last year. But at the same time, it's a major need for us. I say C.

Greg: Not that big of a need. Carimi is better at guard. This guy is a backup!

Andrew: Carimi has been terrible. Our line has been our downfall.

Greg: They signed two lineman in free agency. It was a reach. Worst pick of the draft by far! And it's not even close.

Andrew: Speaking of talking like a fan...

Cincinnati Bengals: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

Andrew: There Eifert goes.

Greg: I'm not talking like a fan by the way. Gruden hasn't even seen much film on that guy. That's how bad he is!

St. Louis Rams TRADE the 22nd pick to the Atlanta Falcons

Greg: Trade has to be for Sharif Floyd.

Andrew: I can't believe he's still here... BRB

Atlanta Falcons: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

Minnesota Vikings: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

Andrew: I'm back, what I miss?

Greg: Nothing. Floyd to Vikings. Trufant to Atlanta.

Andrew: Atlanta had to go CB I guess. Great pick by the Vikings.

Greg: Trufant would have been there when Atlanta picked. Bad move.

Andrew: Here come Colts. They owned draft last year. They will again.

Greg: I'm worried. I don't want Xavier Rhodes. After what the Bears did, I'm not confident in anything. Bears missed last year and this year.

Indianapolis Colts: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State

Andrew: True, I'm mad about this year and still about last year. But Long isn't terrible.

Greg: A Kindergartener could've made those picks. I'm happy with Werner to Colts by the way.

Andrew: You defended Shae last year when I went off.

Greg: It was only a slight reach. Long was #37 on some boards. Big reach. He's a developmental first rounder.

Andrew: The defense for Long is that the Bears have a terrible line.

Minnesota Vikings: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State

Andrew: Vikings should have went LB there.

Greg: The Bears do have a bad line, but you don't throw developmental guys at it if you want to improve.

Andrew: I said things like that about Shae last year and you defended him.

Greg: But that's not what I though Shae was.

Andrew: Anyways, GB taking Lacy here for sure. Or Ball. They badly need a RB.

Greg: I think Matt Elam from Florida.

Green Bay Packers: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

Greg: Interesting pick. This guy could be a stud.

Andrew: Athletic for sure. Solid pick. Still was thinking RB there but there are other rounds.

Greg: Benson will be back probably so I say safety is a big need.

Andrew: Benson sucks... they could get Ball in the second round. Watch out!

Greg: Just watched Bears GM in press conference. He said they watched Senior Bowl and thought Long was the best lineman on the field. He's a joke as a scout!

Andrew: Yeah, he should stick to free agency.

Houston Texans: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

Andrew: Hopkins is pretty good. They needed a WR badly.

Greg: Reach there too. He was down on most boards.

Andrew: Tavon was lower than where he was taken too. But with few offensive options this year, you have to go after them.

Greg: Drafting by need is stupid.

Andrew: Gotta fill holes somehow if you miss in free agency.

Greg: I hope Denver drafts Montee Ball.

Andrew: That would be nice, but they just got Hillman. I'm just pissed they blew it with Elvis in free agency.

Greg: Hillman not every down back.

Denver Broncos: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina

Greg: Interesting pick there. DT is a position of strength for them.

New England TRADES the 29th pick to Minnesota

Greg: Wow, Minny with 3 #1's.

Andrew: I don't like this trade for Minny. They gave up way too much.

Minnesota Vikings: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Greg: That is a bad pick also.

Andrew: Bad trade for this marginal player.

Greg: That's what I mean. Gave up too much for a developmental, risky player in the first round.

Andrew: Pats struck gold.

Greg: As always.

Andrew: I've always said that I'd draft like them. Trade down, get value, get tons of picks, then trade up for sure things since I have picks to play with.

St. Louis Rams: Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia

Greg: A++ for Rams so far.

Andrew: St. Louis did well tonight for sure.

Greg: They did the best with multiple picks in the first round. / This is taking too long.

Andrew: Agree, this Dallas pick has been in for five minutes and ESPN is stalling.

Dallas Cowboys: Travis Frederick, OC, Wisconsin

Greg: Another weird pick.

Andrew: Based on need again.

Greg: This is a record for offensive lineman in the first round. Need only based picking is always ridiculous.

Andrew: Not if they are good players too.

Baltimore Ravens: Matt Elam, S, Florida

Andrew: Good pick by the Champs.

Greg: Very solid. I'm out now, later.

Andrew: No Teo or Smith in first round. Interesting... Good night!

By: The Sports Guys

No comments:

Post a Comment