Wednesday, November 27, 2013

NBA Check-In

About one month has passed since the NBA season started, so today is a check-in and I'll discuss some of the hot topics.

- Who is the best team in the NBA right now?

As of today, this discussion comes down to Indiana and San Antonio. And while Indiana has the best defense and got off to the best start, the Spurs are the top team. Due to Danny Granger's injury (and playing level before that), I would wouldn't trust the Pacers' offense in big games as much as the Spurs' offense. San Antonio is balanced, deep, can score consistently inside and out, and still has a solid defense. With all this said, I'd still favor Miami in the playoffs down the road.

- Is Portland for real?

The Trailblazers are 13-2 and have won 11 games in a row. This answer is tricky so I'll answer it twice. Yes, they are for real as a team destined for the playoffs. I love Lillard and Aldridge, and they are surrounded by some great role players that add depth. But no, they aren't a legit title contender as their record would suggest. They aren't as good as the other top Western Conference teams (Spurs, Clippers, Rockets, Warriors, Thunder). But they could also prove me wrong.

- Who is the MVP right now?

This race is completely wide open right now. I think contenders would be Kevin Durant, Lebron James, Chris Paul, Kevin Love, and Paul George. All five deserve the award for different reasons. I first would eliminate Love due to his team's record. Then I'd throw out George, because he does similar things for Indiana that Lebron and Durant do, just not quite to their level. As for the other 3 guys, if I had to choose now, I'd pick Durant. He started the year without Westbrook, but still got the Thunder off to a quick start. He's leading the league in scoring, and is averaging over 7 rebounds and 5 assists as well. And I think has less help around him than Lebron and CP3 have. But there is a long way to go.

- What do you make of Kobe's new contract?

I think it was smart to keep Kobe in LA and to re-sign him, but the price was too high. I would have at least wanted to see him play a little this year post-injury. With that said, getting Kobe a new deal would be the least of my worries as the GM for the Lakers. I'd work diligently on unloading Gasol and Nash to get younger and start the rebuild. I'd work on establishing some new faces and stars that Kobe could lead over the next couple years. I'd try to get players and/or 2014 draft picks. Then I'd make sure I have money to cash in on some players in the great free agent class this summer.

- What's wrong in New York and Brooklyn?

I was a big fan of both the Knicks and the Nets heading into the season. Both were good last year and I thought they'd be just as good if not better in both cases. It just hasn't worked out. Injuries to both teams have hurt, but they never were playing well regardless. Brooklyn just needs more time, but I think the Knicks need a new coach. I'd give it until Christmas though before I officially panic.

- What should the Bulls do?

The Bulls just lost Rose for the season... again. That kills their chances this year to be a threat in the Eastern Conference. I thought they were third best even with Rose, so now they have no chance against the Heat or Pacers. I'd suggest a mini-rebuild so when Rose returns he has all the right pieces. I'd keep Rose, Noah, Butler, and Snell for sure, but I'd be open to moving any other player (Deng and Boozer in particular). If the right moves comes along to bring in other great players, I'd do it. I'd also look to add talent in the loaded draft class and free agent class this summer. That way when Rose gets healthy, the roster would be ready to compete for championships for years to come, which isn't the case now, even if Rose didn't get injured.

- Who will be the first pick in the 2014 NBA Draft?

Before the year, it was all about Andrew Wiggins. He's got competition for that pick now. Other good choices are Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Dante Exum, Marcus Smart, and Joel Embiid. I think all six of those candidates will be great players, and they all have the upside to be superstars. This year more than any it could depend on which team is drafting at the top, and which player fits better. If I had to guess now (both draft order and players), this is how I see those top six picks going at this stage:

1. Utah Jazz: Andrew Wiggins - Biggest need is at SF. I went Wiggins over Parker due to athleticism, upside, and I think he's a better fit alongside Hayward. Young lineup would now be Burke, Hayward, Wiggins, Favors, Kanter.

2. Milwaukee Bucks: Jabari Parker - I considered Exum and Smart here, but they just traded for Brandon Knight to be their point guard of the future. Parker would give them another much needed scorer and fills a long-term need at the SF. Parker could be the best all-around player in this draft anyways.

3. Sacramento Kings: Julius Randle - I originally had a point guard here, but I think finding a long-term power forward is more needed in the long run. A Randle/Cousins frontcourt would dominate the league for years to come.

4. Orlando Magic: Dante Exum - It came down to Exum vs. Smart for this spot. Exum has more size and upside however. He and Oladipo would be a great backcourt to build around. They have some nice young frontcourt players already too.

5. Philadelphia 76ers: Joel Embiid - Ideally, the 76ers would like to draft Wiggins or Parker, but I don't see them sucking bad enough this season to draft that high. Embiid and Noel could play next to each other though as they develop, which would be intimidating to play against.

6. Boston Celtics: Marcus Smart - Since the Celtics are now rebuilding, I would suggest trading Rondo now and getting some talent/picks in return. Smart would fill Rondo's shoes then as the point guard to lead Brad Stevens' team. Smart is exactly the type of leader Stevens would love.

By: The Sports Guys

No comments:

Post a Comment