Wednesday, November 6, 2013

NCAA Basketball "Opening Night"

The NCAA basketball season kicks off on Friday (November 8). We've been previewing the season for a couple months, but now let's preview the specific games... Here are the best games to watch on the opening night:

18 Connecticut vs. Maryland (in Brooklyn)

Last season, UCONN wasn't eligible for the postseason, but this year they are. They start the year with a nice ranking, and a great backcourt to lean on. Maryland though is flying under the radar. They have some nice players, despite losing Alex Len early to the draft. They were on the verge of the NCAA Tourney last year, and it seems they are primed to make it this time around. This could be the non-conference resume building win they lacked a year ago. So who will come out on top?

I'll take UCONN, simply because of their guard play. Maryland is most shaky at the point guard position, and with Seth Allen injured currently, they won't have the answers in their first game. Napier and Boatright for the Huskies will go wild as they will pull out a good win to start the year.

Georgetown vs. 19 Oregon (in South Korea)

In the second annual Armed Forces game, two teams will square up that play different styles. Oregon will be a fast paced team that will rely on their guards. Georgetown picks its spots a little better and has a lot of muscle inside. Both teams just got great news from the NCAA about the eligibility of Josh Smith and Joseph Young respectively. I'm intrigued by how this game turns out.

Word came today (as I'm writing this), that Dominic Artis and Ben Carter have been suspended for selling their team shoes. They could be out 9-12 games (currently unknown), but obviously they won't play in this one. I think that swings this game in favor of Georgetown. Tough to overcome that for Oregon in the short term.

St. John's vs. 20 Wisconsin

This game features a young, athletic, all-upside team vs. a veteran, slow-paced, well-coached squad in what should be a very tight contest. St. John's is underrated nationally, even by me, and this could be a chance break out. Wisconsin though is a tough out, particularly for St. John's who probably doesn't see this type of play often. St. John's has the advantage down low, but Wisconsin has more weapons on the perimeter.

I'll go with Wisconsin, simply because I trust Bo Ryan in a season opener more. I say it comes down to the wire though, and Sam Dekker for the Badgers will have to play well. If St. John's does win however, they would have a shot at a Top 25 ranking next week.

Colorado vs. 25 Baylor

In my opinion, this is the best game on Friday. Both teams are under ranked in my opinion. ESPN has Baylor at 25, while I have them at 13. Colorado is unranked, but I have them at 23. Baylor is loaded inside, led by Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson. Colorado is fast and good on the outside, led by Spencer Dinwiddie, one of the most unheralded stars in college basketball.

Neither team gets a home advantage, for this will be held in Dallas. Both teams have plenty of experience returning, and will be ready for this opener. My head tells me Baylor (for I have them ranked higher), but my heart is telling me Colorado. I think they have more to prove and will play like it. So Colorado pulls off the upset. Boom!


Most teams are in action on Friday (some Saturday and Sunday too), so I hope you enjoy the action. Be sure to watch you team and cheer them on though (HOO, HOO, HOO, HOOSIERS!).

By: The Sports Guys

No comments:

Post a Comment