Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Postseason Picks

This past Sunday, we conducted a "draft" picking teams we think will be successful in the NCAA Tournament this year. We will obviously be making official picks when the bracket is released next month, but we wanted to make predictions a month in advance to make it more interesting. Greg designed a few categories:

1. We must each pick 5 teams and draft them in alternating order. Andrew can have first pick. For every win one of your team earns in the tourney, you get a point. Highest point total wins.

2. Of the five teams, a maximum of two teams from each conference can be chosen.

3. At least one team has to be a team from outside the "Power 6" conferences.

4. At least one team has to be unranked (as of the AP Poll released on February 18th).

5. One team CAN fulfill multiple categories.

So after those rules were set in stone, I (Andrew) made an obvious first choice:

Andrew - Indiana (Big Ten)

Greg admitted later that IU was one of the two picks I stole from him. That's what happens when he gives me first pick!

Greg - Michigan State

I will admit that I was hoping to take Michigan State as my second Big Ten school. So I had to settle:

Andrew - Michigan (Big Ten)

At this point, Greg and I just went on a tear taking the schools we thought would have the most postseason success:

Greg - Kansas

Andrew - Florida

Greg - Duke (ACC)

Andrew - Louisville

Greg - Gonzaga (Non-Power 6)

Here is where strategy took over. I played it so I got two teams from the best conference in the country (Big Ten), and I loaded up on other potential championship teams. That left my last pick where I had to take a team outside the power conferences and unranked:

Andrew - St. Louis (non-Power 6, Unranked)

Luckily for me, St. Louis was only receiving votes at the time. They did enter the rankings the next day, but that wasn't the poll we were going by. Greg was disappointed because this was the second team I picked that he wanted. Although he still needed a second team from a similar conference:

Greg - NC State (ACC, Unranked)

All categories were fulfilled and the draft was therefore complete. Take a look at the recap below of all the picks, and let us know who you think drafted better:

Andrew - Indiana, Michigan, Florida, Louisville, St. Louis

Greg - Michigan State, Kansas, Duke, Gonzaga, NC State

By: The Sports Guys

No comments:

Post a Comment