Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Personal NBA Draft


Today I'm revisiting the upcoming NBA Draft. But unlike the last time, today I’m providing you with insight on what I would do if I were drafting for each team. This should be fun!

NOTE: I’m only providing my lottery picks here. More analysis will occur in a later mock.

My Personal NBA Draft Lottery

1. Cleveland Cavaliers select Ben McLemore.

Personally, my first option would be to trade this pick. The Cavs need a small forward but taking one here isn’t a realistic option. So if I could find a team to trade with, say Indiana with a package around expendable Danny Granger, I would likely pull the trigger. A Paul Pierce package would be another possibility, although he is too old to help in the future, so that wouldn’t be good enough. McLemore could play alongside Waiters and Irving, or likely be the starter, moving Waiters to a 6th man role. Noel’s injury scares me.

2. Orlando Magic select Nerlens Noel.

The Magic have holes at nearly every spot on their roster. But they had successful years with a defensive big man in the paint (Howard). Noel could develop into that star big man, plus his injury would keep him out for much of the season, giving them a great chance at landing the top pick next year and nabbing Andrew Wiggins. I don’t mind failure this year if that means combining a healthy Noel and Wiggins next year…

3. Washington Wizards select Victor Oladipo

I’ve said it leading up to the draft, Oladipo is the best player available in the draft this season. If I’m Washington, I don’t care that I have a more pressing need at SF, I wouldn’t want to pass on him. Just like McLemore/Waiters, I think Oladipo and Bradley Beal could play together at times and one of them could make for a dynamic 6th man if needed.

4. Charlotte Hornets select Cody Zeller.

There are a number of reasons I make this selection. First, he is the next best player on my personal Big Board and plays a position that the Hornets are weak at. Second, nobody else fits here. Porter plays too much like MKG, Burke is too much like Kemba, and Bennett is an undersized four, which they already have a lot of (a Bobcats/Hornets fan said that last comment). Zeller is a proven winner, which could help this losing team dramatically, plus he has tremendous skill and upside too.

5. Phoenix Suns select Otto Porter Jr.

The Suns need wing players and he is the best of the bunch that’s left. He can help immediately and is a player that has gotten so much better over the last couple years. If he keeps improving like that, big things are in store.

6. New Orleans Pelicans select Trey Burke.

Bennett is tempting, but I see him playing the same position as Anthony Davis so I’d go point guard instead. Burke has the ability to impact the game by scoring or setting up fellow guards Gordon and Rivers. I think is a safe pick here too.

7. Sacramento Kings select Anthony Bennett.

When they decided to trade Thomas Robinson, it immediately opened up the door to draft another top power forward. Bennett may be slightly undersized, but he makes up for it with his athleticism and skillset. He and Cousins would make a formidable frontline for years to come.

8. Detroit Pistons select CJ McCollum.

Like the Cavs, I don’t love this spot for them in the draft, so I’d look to trade the pick. I’d either move down while acquiring pieces, or just take a nice player if the price is right. I would love to trade this pick and Jose Calderon for somebody like Rajon Rondo... But as for this pick, CJ McCollum is physically ready for the NBA and is versatile enough to play the 1 or 2. Of course so is Brandon Knight and Rodney Stuckey, who are already on the roster… Trade time!

9. Minnesota Timberwolves select Alex Len.

Minnesota has a lot of holes but they have a big hole in the middle I think. Len would fill in nicely next to Kevin Love. A lot of thought needs to go into what position they think Rubio should play. If he is a point guard, Caldwell-Pope is an option here; if he’s a shooting guard then I’d consider Michael Carter-Williams. But I like Len’s upside better than both anyways.

10. Portland Trailblazers select Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Portland could use a scoring and shooting counterpart to Lilllard. Caldwell-Pope is that guy and can help open things up for Lillard and Aldridge. His athleticism leads me to think he has good upside also.

11. Philadelphia 76ers select Shabazz Muhammed.

I would be looking to take the best available 2-4 player. Ideally, somebody from above would fall to me, but if not, Muhammed would be my guy. Remember, it was Muhammed getting all the “Wiggins hype” a year ago. He still has great upside despite a year at UCLA where he didn’t match expectations.

12. Oklahoma City Thunder select Kelly Olynyk.

If I’m OKC, I can finally reap the benefits of the Harden trade. Not only did I get Kevin Martin, but I acquired a lottery pick here. OKC also has their pick in the late first and another quickly with #32. The area I’d target with this pick is a big man that can step in and produce immediately. That would be Olynyk. He has nice size and a skillset that could work well with Durant and Westbrook. He can back up Perkins well, and eventually take his place.

13. Dallas Mavericks select Michael Carter-Williams.

My top priority if I were running Dallas would be free agency. If I could somehow get Chris Paul or something, then I wouldn’t be taking MCW here. But in this mock, I’ll assume they don’t and therefore get a solid point guard for the future. MCW has great size, athleticism, and vision, but he must improve his ball handling and jump shot.

14. Utah Jazz select Dario Saric.

As long as Saric officially declares for the draft (which he’s been hesitant on), this was actually pretty simple. The Jazz are loaded with bigs, so I would take the best non-big available. Saric could go before this, but I doubt he would slide past Utah.

By: The Sports Guys

1 comment:

  1. Quick note here: Dario Saric has pulled out of the NBA draft.

    Due to that, I have the right to change my pick at #14 for the Jazz. In this case, I go with point guard Shane Larkin. I believe the Jazz need a PG, and I'd be afraid that he would be gone by pick #21 (where the Jazz also have a pick). I like him slightly over Schroeder, simply because I know what I'm getting because I've seen him numerous times in college. I like his leadership too.

    ReplyDelete