Friday, June 21, 2013

Wimbledon Preview

The second slam in tennis, Wimbledon, is set to begin on Monday. This the most storied event in all of tennis should be another exciting tourney. Remember, we've had some epic matches recently on the grass, including the Murray/Federer final last year in both this event and the Olympics. And in general, tennis is in a good spot after we all got to see the epic Djokovic/Nadal match in the French Open.

YET I'M PISSED!

I complained during the French Open that Djokovic and Nadal should have been seeded 1, 2, and be placed on opposite sides of the draw. PLUS, I've always hated the random nature of placing the 3-4 seeds, then the 5-8 seeds, 9-16 seeds, etc. Place them in the freaking draw like a real tourney! 1 on top, 2 on the bottom, 3 in the other quarter on bottom, and 4 in a quarter up top, etc. PLUS, seed the players better. Nadal was clearly the top player heading into the French, or 2 at the minimum, yet he was seeded 3rd. STUPID! He was injured which is why his world ranking was down. Yet this year, he is dominating.

AND NOTHING CHANGED FOR WIMBLEDON! IN FACT, IT'S WORSE.

Andy Murray is making his return and got the 2 seed? Federer is still clinging onto #3. Ferrer got the 4th seed because he passed Nadal in the world rankings when he got raped by him in the French final? And yes, the best player currently in the world is seeded 5th... that's Nadal. And you know what's worse? Nadal is in Federer's quarter and they will meet in the quarterfinals. Andy Murray is with them too and will play the winner in the semifinals. Djokovic gets a walk to the final, assuming he beats the only decent player up there, Ferrer, in the semis. Even Tsonga is on bottom in the loaded section. It's absurd!!!

I was fully expecting Nadal to win this event, but now I doubt he'll be able to go through Federer, Murray, and then Djokovic in three straight matches. So I'll go with Novak simply due to his generous draw. But something obviously needs to change when ranking players and seeding them. Cause the draw is simply ridiculous.

Oh and I was going to predict a big tourney from John Isner, but he's got Nadal in the fourth round. That's rough for both of them. And that's only if Isner can get past Wawrinka in the third. Tough stuff!

Briefly on the girls... If Serena doesn't win, I'll shave my head!

By: The Sports Guys

PS: Greg, I really won't shave my head but I'd be floored if Serena loses.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like the terrible draw won't matter. Fed and Nadal won't have to play in the quarters because NADAL LOST!!! Biggest upset of all time in my opinion. Wow Darcis! I guess I'll still pick Novak but Fed and Murray looked awfully good today.

    ReplyDelete