Friday, January 10, 2014

NFL Divisional Round Picks


The first weekend of the playoffs was awesome! I still can’t believe that Colts comeback. I also have no clue how players could have played in Green Bay, as cold as it was. But here we are, prepping for the second weekend. Each game has great storylines:

Saints/Seahawks – Harvin will finally play. Offense vs. Defense. Veteran Brees vs. young star Wilson. Plenty of drama…

Colts/Patriots – Another chapter of this great rivalry. This time, Andrew Luck faces Tom Brady though.

49ers/Panthers – Two teams that are very similar… They are led by great defenses, they have young, explosive playmakers at the QB position, and they both played great football the second half of the year.

Chargers/Broncos – Manning tries to overcome his playoff demons, but must overcome the Chargers, a team that’s beaten him before in the playoffs. Plus, San Diego won at Denver last month.

As for our picks, here you go:

New Orleans vs. Seattle

Greg:
Seattle over New Orleans. Seattle dominated in their first matchup this year and it’s simply a bad matchup on both sides of the ball for the Saints… They struggle against Seattle’s defense and can’t stop their running attack very well.

Andrew:
I remember watching this matchup a few years ago, but Seattle was the underdog and the Saints were the powerhouse. Who won? Seattle. So does that mean I’m picking the underdog again… No: I’m picking Seattle again. The defense knows how to stop Drew Brees, and Harvin’s return will make a difference on offense. Seattle marches on and will host the NFC Championship Game.

Indianapolis vs. New England

Greg:
My big upset of the weekend is Indy over New England. Andrew Luck plays great in big games and it doesn’t seem like the Pats year.

Andrew:
Once again, it’s Indy and New England, but Andrew Luck has his chance instead of Peyton. For the record, I think New England is the better team and Tom Brady is the better QB, but I’m taking the Colts. Indianapolis has played their best this year against great teams, hence why they’ve beaten Denver, San Francisco, and Seattle. They also have to be feeling good about themselves after their comeback win, and the way they closed the season. So even though I’m sure to be wrong here, let’s keep riding the Colts.

Carolina vs. San Francisco

Greg:
I know Carolina beat San Francisco back in November, but this is a 49ers team that’s playing much better. Kaep was held to 91 yards passing in that game, which you know won’t happen again. And Carolina still only won by one point.

Andrew:
I must have a thing against the 2-seeds, because I’m picking the 49ers. While I think both teams are similar in make-up, SF just has more playmakers at RB and WR. This will help Colin outplay Cam and deliver the victory in the fourth quarter. The 49ers are also playoff tested and experienced, unlike the Panthers.

San Diego vs. Denver

Greg:
I also doubt San Diego can win at Denver again. Denver is too tough and won’t be held in check like they were in the last matchup. Ryan Mathews is iffy for the game due to an injury, and they need him running wild in order to win. Broncos roll.

Andrew:
This was the easiest game for me to pick. I’m picking Denver. They’ve been the best team all year (in my opinion), and I think it’s time for Peyton to get his second ring. I’m picking Denver in every playoff game the rest of the way, and I don’t care that they lost to each team remaining in the AFC. Peyton will finally shine in the playoffs.

Enjoy the games once again!

By: The Sports Guys

1 comment:

  1. Looks like we were right on the money in 3 of the games, but our heart-led pick (Colts) was our lone miss. Still, 3-1 is pretty good for playoff picking. In the playoffs, Andrew is 6-2, Greg is 5-3.

    ReplyDelete