Thursday, May 24, 2012

Andrew's World of Golf

So I went out the other day and played golf on a course I have never played. I shot a 77 and was pretty thrilled considering most told me this course is a tough venue. Then I saw in the paper that some local high schooler had shot a 70 the day before. So I realize I am indeed a ways off towards playing on the tour...

But if you're a golf fan, there hasn't been much to complain about this year. In fact, we have seen so many storylines in 2012 that it's hard to keep track of them all. Here are some of the stories that have stuck out to me.

Bubba Watson in green. There really hasn't been a better moment in golf, maybe even in sports, than watching Bubba win the Masters. It was intense in the playoff seeing him hit a massive hook out of the trees to 15 feet. In fact, it was nothing short of SPECTACULAR. He deserves it to. He is now the highest ranked American player at 4 in the world.

Speaking of the World Rankings, Rory finally got to number 1. I give credit to his girlfriend, Caroline Wozniaki, because she held that ranking for a long while. Her advice must have been the difference. Of course, her experience still hasn't led to winning a major herself so strike that. It really has been a great story but I am tired of all those videos of him as a kid saying he wanted to be top ranked in the world. He wasn't that cute...

How about Kyle Stanley. We watched one of the more shocking chokes in a long time at Torrey Pines on the 18th hole. After that, most thought he'd fall apart like David Duval did a decade ago. But give him credit, he came back and won the next week in Phoenix.

I guess it's easier to come back after watching a lead disappear than watching something meaningful disappear like a marriage... but Tiger Woods finally did make it back to the winner's circle. Winning at Arnie's tourney was something so rare for him... I mean he hadn't won on tour in 30 months. That's the same length of time as Lebron since his last championship... oh wait, he's still waiting. Tiger is back up to number 7 in the world, but even that seems weird.

Jason Dufner has been the MAN over the last month winning twice. He had been close so many times before but finally has learned how to close things out. Lebron, once again, needs to take notice.

The man in orange winning his first tourney was exciting. Fowler winning in a playoff over Rory was something I thoroughly enjoyed watching as an American golf fan. Hope that's a preview for the Olympics.

Americans have been so playing well this whole year actually. Hunter Mahan winning the Match Play Championship (over Rory once again) was some incredible golf. Kuchar at The Players was thrilling as well. Nothing like the Stadium Course.

Which leads me to thinking about the rest of the year:

Will Lee Westwood ever win a major? (Not this year) We know Sergio won't ever but Lee really does have a legit shot.

Will Kevin Na step off another tee shot? (YEP!)

Who will make the Ryder Cup teams? (My guess is Americans and Euros)

Will Tiger win a major or switch swing coaches? (in no particular order, yes and no)

Personally, I can't wait for the summer tourneys and final three majors to begin. I have played The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island so I can't wait for that course to host the PGA Championship in August. I hope the wind is as crazy as it was when I played (30+ mph with large gusts). My predictions and commentary to continue throughout the year.

As for this week, let's go with Zach Johnson. He's been playing well and Colonial seems to be a Zach Johnson course! Peace

Andrew

5 comments:

  1. Love the post here. But I'll only write for majors on Golf. Can't wait for the Ryder Cup, it might be my favorite event in Sports!

    For the colonial, you gotta go with Jason Dufner, even though he looks like the most unathletic person in the world, his game is on right now. He's my pick this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, on a personal golf note, shot a 79 on Sunday night for my personal best. With 3, three-putts. Have yourself an Arnold Palmer in preparation for a great summer golf season full of low scores!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well after the first round our picks are looking good. My pick Johnson is actually leading the tourney and Dufner is one back in a tie for second. We're looking smart right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As we continue to follow up...interestingly our picks are 1 and 2 after first two rounds of the Crowne Plaza!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unreal, my pick ended up winning, Greg's got second!

    ReplyDelete