Friday, June 22, 2012

Andrew's Wimbledon Preview

As we've commented on this site before, we're in the midst of true Championship Season. We've seen champions crowned recently in tennis, basketball, golf, racing, and hockey. College Baseball is to that point as well. And now we get to enjoy watching another win a trophy at the best slam in tennis: Wimbledon.

After letting me down at the French Open, I'm picking the Bryan Brothers to win in doubles. As for the women, I think after winning in Paris, Sharapova will get the job done here also. She is playing great tennis and this was the site of her first slam ever.

As for the men, I'll take a bit more time breaking it down. Here is the draw: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/index.html

Below is my breakdown of Men's Singles. For Greg's picks, view the comment section.

Novak's Quarter

Novak will begin the defense of his title against a former slam champ in Ferrero. Don't expect this to be too tough a test though.

Another thing that stands out to me is how unfortunate Ryan Harrison is. Harrison is a feisty young American who hasn't yet broken through very far in a slam. Maybe it's because of draws like this. He'll take on Novak in the second round if he wins his first.

Vet James Blake has a tough but doable draw for a couple rounds. I think he would be pleased by a third round showing, before losing also to Djokovic.

When looking at the bottom portion of this quarter I see some big guns. Gasquet is ultra talented and has played well here before. Almagro is coming off a good showing a the French Open as is always fun to watch. Berdych is the most dangerous and the favorite to face the Joker in the quarterfinals.

But no matter who it is, I feel like Novak waltzes into the semifinals again. I think this is overall the weakest section.

Federer's Quarter

Federer is looking to not only rack up another slam at his favorite venue, but if he wins and Nadal loses in the semifinals or before, he would become number one in the world again. That would lead to even more history and records for the best player of all time!

Fed's draw is fairly tame until the third round. If he plays Gilles Muller there (who can serve monstrously), he could have a testy match. Although he would still win so it's probably not even worth mentioning. In all honesty, his first real test would come a round later with Verdasco. He's a Spaniard and a lefty, the same as Roger's nemesis (Nadal). Although he could also play Simon there.

In the bottom section here, my eyes are drawn to one potential matchup: Second Round - Isner vs. Mahut part 2. If that happens, they may even put that match on Centre Court. We all remember what happened when they played a few years ago: history! My best guess is that they don't play near as long this time around, but I think Isner would win again. In fact, I think Isner will come out of that section to face Federer in the quarters. Although I would love the American to advance past this point, it won't happen. Team Fed rolls on.

Murray's Quarter


Murray is still searching for his first slam. He would specifically love to win here, and become the first Brit to win in ages. You know he will have the fan support but can he pull it off? Overall, I think this section is pretty deep and will be tough.

Ferrer is also in this section. His first big test will come in the third round where he could take on Andy Roddick. "A-Rod," if you will, hasn't played well of late, but his career and success here at Wimbledon should make any opponent worry. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an upset here. I trust the big serve on grass!

Whoever makes it through that one will take on Del Potro. What a fourth round matchup that could be! That's why this section is tough for whoever makes it through.

Murray could face the survivor of the above players, but only if he survives his section first. He immediately plays Davydenko. He was a former top 5 player. Then he would probably take on Dr. Ivo. Ivo has always played well here on the grass with his serve. Murray's third round could be a number of guys, all who are dangerous. Baghdatis is a talented guy who has made it deep in slams. Anderson has as large as serve as Karlovic. And if Murray gets by there, he would play either Cilic or Raonic. Both of these guys has as much talent as anyone in the world. Again, that's only to get to a match with Ferrer, Roddick, or Del Potro.

My prediction here is that Murray doesn't make it through all of that. He doesn't really get an easy match and he'll have tons of pressure on him. I'll predict Del Potro coming through.

Nadal's Quarter

Nadal badly desires to win his third Wimbledon title. His section is also pretty tough, but most of his foes will battle it out at the top of the section.

That aforementioned section includes Tsonga, Tomic, Fish, and Wawrinka. It will be a treat to watch that play out. I could actually see any of the four making it through to the quarterfinals. I have a weird/good feeling about Tomic, but I wouldn't bet against Tsonga.

There are some great players down with Nadal on the draw, but none match up well with him. Therefore, Nadal will cruise to the quarters. Simple as that

I think he will be tested there by one of the above four. But I don't see any of them beating him in a best of five match. So on Nadal will go to the semifinals.

Semis and Finals

Here is where the real work starts for predictions. As much as I would like to see Nadal lose here, it won't happen. Even if it is Murray (and not Del Potro like I predicted), Nadal will win. Despite being the two seed, he has the much easier semifinal match than the one seed. In fact, I see Nadal winning in straight sets.

That one seed, Djokovic, will take on the best player of all time: Roger Federer. Although Novak got him in Paris, I see Federer winning this match. Federer will win in four sets.

That sets up a rematch I have been wanting to see here. We all remember some of the matches they have had in the finals here. We haven't heard much about this rivalry on the court recently, but I am aching to watch it. Nadal has really outplayed Fed in their match-ups previous. But you know what? I'll take Roger here over his arch rival Rafa. I'll even predict a classic five set match. It's going to be good!

I hope you enjoy watching as much as I do. I can't wait for it to start. I just wish we could fast forward to the second week when things really heat up. Go USA!

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment