Thursday, June 28, 2012

NBA Draft Dream Scenarios

Tonight is the night. Tune in to watch an exciting NBA Draft. This year should be great due to a unique amount of depth this year's class contains. The first round (and even early second) is littered with kids who possess lottery talent, and even top ten talent. Expect to see some big, draft night trades as well. Many teams are and will be looking to move up and down the board.

Last week I gave my NBA mock draft based on what I would do if I drafted. Since then, things have drastically changed. Trades have taken place, news has emerged about certain players (notably injury issues), and it's more evident what each team needs and desires.

Below are just some notes (and dreams) about what would be fun to see (and do if I were a GM). I'm just having fun here so don't put any stock in what you read below. I picked out teams that could be active and greatly improve their roster tonight:

Hornets 

If I am the Hornets, I am looking to acquire pieces. Clearly, I draft Anthony Davis first.

The question is what to do with the tenth pick. I may look to trade up or down. The dream scenario would be in MKG falls to the five spot. If so, I would use the tenth pick, second round pick, and Rashard Lewis (whose salary you could dump) for the pick and unite MKG and Davis. Then, I could easily resign Eric Gordon, Carl Landry, Chris Kaman, Marcos Bellinelli, and have enough money to acquire other pieces (like a point guard).

But that won't happen. So the more likely option could be trading down. Houston has 3 picks in the next ten, so maybe they would give up two for this one. Then picking guys like Tyler Zeller and Kendall Marshall could happen. Look at the lineup you built for the future now:

PG Kendall Marshall
SG Eric Gordon
SF Rashard Lewis (Ultimate goal is to dump or trade him to unload big salary and get younger)
PF Anthony Davis
C  Tyler Zeller

Bobcats


The Bobcats need even more talent than the Hornets. And since they don't have the first pick, they will try and trade it. It's clear that Cleveland wants it. So if you are Charlotte, let it happen and get picks 4 and 24. Don't stop there either. Trade Augustin and Tyrus Thomas away to acquire another piece and clear cap room.

With the picks, I would pray MKG falls to you. With 24, possibly Sullinger slides due to back issues. Now you have two more studs, plus the money and pieces you acquired from above. You'd be in business and at minimum have this lineup:

PG Kemba Walker
SG Ben Gordon
SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
PF Jared Sullinger
C  Byron Mullens

The icing on the cake will be that future lottery pick that was acquired from Detroit. That could turn out to be somebody like Cody Zeller!

Cleveland


As you had read, I am a MKG fan. So I don't make the trade with Charlotte. I stay put because there would be a great chance MKG falls into my lap. Putting him with Kyrie Irving is great, and I still keep my 24, 33, and 34th picks in a deep draft. With those I draft Fab Melo (24), John Jenkins (33) and Doran Lamb (34). This gives me a lot more depth and upside for future. And by not resigning Jamison, I have enough money to pull in a free agent to boot. For now though, I at least got this lineup:

PG Kyrie Irving
SG Jenkins/Lamb
SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
PF Tristan Thompson
C  Anderson Varejao/Fab Melo

Portland


The beauty of having picks 6 and 11 is that it opens doors up a lot of doors. Plus, Portland has 7 unrestricted free agents and 2 restricted. The two restricted guys I keep (Batum and Hickson). Of the remaining players, I hold onto these: Felton and Thabeet. I cut lose everyone else to save money. With that money I go sign a guy like Jameer Nelson and Troy Murphy. Nelson would start and Troy gives depth.

I would also keep both of the picks. They have continually struck out with bigs so I wouldn't risk Drummond. The goal would be to get Harrison Barnes. He could play the 3 for you for a long time. With the 11th pick, I go with a big that is more of a sure thing: Tyler Zeller. Portland also has 2 second round picks where they could find 2 quality players too, possibly someone like Kim English. With the moves I stated, they now have talent and depth in your lineup:

PG Jameer Nelson/Ray Felton
SG Wesley Matthews/Kim English
SF Nik Batum/Harrison Barnes
PF LaMarcus Aldridge/Troy Murphy
C Tyler Zeller/Kurt Thomas

Golden State


This is yet another team with two first rounders. Once again, with the talent in this draft I keep both. Their pick at number 7 comes down to who slides there. There also may be a lot of team interested in this pick. Houston for example could give two picks in the teens to them for this pick. The issue I have with trading it away is that they really need somebody who can attack the rim. Curry and Thompson are both promising but they are shooters. Dion Waiters could be the answer.

At 30, there is still great value. Quincey Miller is a guy that would have been top 10 in the draft had he waited a year. I think the last pick of the first round should be used on a guy like that. At 35, they can still get an athletic big (to go with their skilled bigs they currently possess): Kyle O'Quinn. They now have a lot of depth to put a very good lineup together:

Guards/SF: Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry, Dorell Wright, Klay Thompson, Quincey Miller, Richard Jefferson

Bigs: David Lee, Andrew Bogut, Andres Biedrins, Kyle O'Quinn


Houston


I have loved the moves they have made to this point. But I don't like them going out and trying to get Dwight Howard. The Thunder gave a great blueprint as to how to build through the draft and grow into a championship caliber team. The difference is, they could do it this year!

Houston just acquired some young talent and have 2 first round picks from last year. All of them are fair game to trade along with Kyle Lowry. They could easily get into the first round. If they do, they would now have 4 picks in the top 18. In this draft, they could draft 4 potential all-stars.

If they do get a top ten pick via that trade I alluded to, they should target Andre Drummond. They wouldn't get a high enough pick to break into that sure thing pool, but his upside is Dwight Howard. That's who they are trying to get so why not take this guy, who is guaranteed to stay with you for more than a year, and who is much cheaper?

With the other picks, it depends on who is there. If Lillard slides to them at 12, pull the trigger. If not, getting a point guard at 18 in somebody like Kendall Marshall is key. The more realistic option is Marshall at 18. In that case, I try to get a scorer at 12. Jeremy Lamb or Terrence Ross are possibilities. At 16, I take a chance on a guy with massive upside: Terrence Jones or Perry Jones. Depending on who they gave away to acquire that top ten pick, their lineup is something like this, and could grow together just like OKC:

PG Kendall Marshall
SG Kevin Martin/Courtney Lee
SF Jeremy Lamb/Terrence Jones
PF Luis Scola/Patrick Patterson
C  Andre Drummond

Boston


It's time to rebuild...at least a little. After years with the Big 3 and being a great team in this league, they have to let go of some guys. It seems like Ray Allen is moving on... let him. Against the more athletic teams in the playoffs, he was a no show. I do resign KG, Bass, and Pietrus. These guys played well in the playoffs, will help guide the younger guys, and keep them competitive in the Eastern Conference.

Thankfully, they also have two picks just after 20. They need guys who can contribute right away, but also those than can grow into stars. I'm looking at 5 names: Royce White, Andrew Nicholson, John Jenkins, Will Barton, and Jared Sullinger. Because of losing Allen, I think I take Jenkins here. He plays very similar to Ray and is a change of pace to Bradley. If they like Barton better, take him then.

With the other pick I take a big. Again, it comes down to who they like more. Seeing as KG was such a hit, I take Nicholson. He is underrated, and could end up being a very similar player to Garnett. And if KG is resigned, he can learn from the man himself.

PG Rajon Rondo
SG Avery Bradley/John Jenkins
SF Paul Pierce/ Michael Pietrus
PF Brandon Bass/Andrew Nicholson
C  Kevin Garnett

There are many other teams that could be active. I heard yesterday that my Pacers are looking to move up, possibly even in the top ten. They would/could use Hansbrough and Collison as chips. Overall, the most excitement is also on who has the most assets. And this year, it's the teams that have multiple first round picks, and high picks at that. Even though most (if not all) of the above moves won't happen, it sure was fun to dream about. I will enjoy the draft either way!

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment