Friday, June 1, 2012

Greg's Weekend Super 6

Coming into this weekend there are some major headlines:

1. NBA Conference Finals - I'm not sure what else Boston could have done in Game 2, and they still lost. Rondo played the best game I've seen any player play in the postseason so far, but the Celtics seem to take plays off on defense, which allowed the Heat to get back into the game.  If Boston can somehow muster some energy after the back-breaking game 2 loss, this series will go 5 games, if not the Heat might win game 4 by 30.

In the Western Conference-The Thunder have actually played pretty well in this series so far, but only have one game to show for it. Thabo Sefolosha won't be able to keep up his level of scoring in game 4, but still think OKC manages to win game 4.I'm with Andrew and THINK the Spurs can close it out in 5, but am actually predicting that it goes 7 after last night, with the Spurs clinching it on their home floor.


2. Stanley Cup - Game 1 was hard to watch hockey, and the Devils played fairly poorly.  The Devils bounce back and Kovalchuk and Elias each score en route to a 4-2 Devils win.  Andrew's prediction follows the pattern of Game 1 too closely. I feel it will be a much more wide open game.


3. The Memorial - Plenty of players in contention after day 1 at the Memorial, and Rory and Tiger both played well for the first time in a few tournaments.  Rory looks as though he'll finally not miss a cut, and Tiger salvaged a good round after being all over the course.


I'm going with an upset pick this weekend as I think Mark Wilson will come out on top.  He's not long, but he's pretty consistent, a poor man's Luke Donald, if you will.  This course suits him well, and his putter gets hot.  He wins by 2 shots.

4. The Start of Fantasy Football - I also signed up to start fantasy football this weekend as well, but I won't be doing any mock drafts so soon. I think its pointless because there are so many question marks. Any draft you do this early basically has no relevance.

I've started some controversy this season by naming my team "THE Tebow Hater" changed up from "Jerry Jones' Greed" last season when I was the league champion, something my esteemed colleague Andrew has yet to achieve.  My team will be full of talent and hopefully my fantasy QB will be able to throw better passes than Tim Tebow.

5. French Open - On the women's side there is one black female still in the draw, and thank God its not one of the Williams' sisters. Sloane Stevens advanced to the 4th round today with a 6-3,6-2 over Frenchwoman Mathilde Johannson.  Good story, and the fact that the Williams' sisters are out makes it better.


Nadal is demolishing people, and I don't see him being challenged legitimately until the QF.  Andy Murray is dealing with some back pain, but still pulled through and is into the 3rd Round.  Federer isn't playing as smoothly as he'd like. Currently he's locked in a close 4th set with Nicolas Mahut (coincidentally, Mahut's wife is actually rooting for Federer, how's that for marital strife?).  Still can't pick against Nadal.

6. International Soccer - Euro 2012 kicks off this weekend, and the defending champs Spain have to be the favorites again.  The best soccer in the world is played in Europe and this tournament should be fun to watch.

I agree with Andrew that the game with Canada shouldn't be a challenge for the US team. They should win by at least 2 goals.

Please comment on the site, lets get some more interaction going with our readers!


Greg

2 comments:

  1. To add one correction, I have won many fantasy titles - INCLUDING LAST YEAR. I've actually won football three years in a row, just in different leagues. You did have a great team last year getting lucky on Gronk and Fred Jackson late in the draft.

    Spurs vs. Heat would be epic in the finals (particularly if Bosh is playing again). I do think it's the Spurs Championship to lose.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when I am right. Kings on the road again baby...in OT again baby!

    Also right on about Tiger and Rory...one on leaderboard, one falling (and probably neither winning although Tiger still could). Adam Scott though let me down.

    And the Spurs played better than in Game 3 but still lost. Now it's going 7!

    ReplyDelete